- Make sure to bring a referral letter
- The Osaka University Hospital has been designated an "advanced treatment hospital" by the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare to provide advanced medical care services. To consult a doctor from this hospital, a referral letter (with patient's medical report) issued by another medical facility is required, in principle. This hospital strives to maintain close cooperation with regional affiliated hospitals. Please keep in mind that you must bring your referral letter with you to facilitate your examination.
※Patients cannot consult Respiratory Medicine, Pediatric Surgery, Ophthalmology, Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery, Pediatrics, Center for Developmental Medicine and Child Psychiatry without a referral letter (with patient's medical report).[Details]
- Designated medical care fee
- This hospital has been designated an "advanced treatment hospital". If you do not have a referral letter, you must pay a designated medical care fee (* 8,800 yen including tax) in addition to the treatment fees.
The same applies to those who revisit after more than 6 months without an appointment.
A referral letter is required for first consultation at the Respiratory Medicine, Pediatric Surgery, Ophthalmology, Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery, Pediatrics, Center for Developmental Medicine and Child Psychiatry.
In the past, to provide community-based health care and provide convenience to patients, the Osaka University Hospital would offer medical examinations and treatment to patients whether or not they had a referral letter. However, as a result the number of patients increased chronically, and the time required for examination and treatment (including waiting time) became much longer, causing dissatisfaction among patients.
Therefore, the hospital has made the following changes in reception procedures for sections which have an especially long waiting time for patients.
Clinical Section and Time of Change
|Respiratory Medicine||From April 2021
In response to a request from Osaka Prefecture, Respiratory Medicine has significantly increased its number of beds and established a special system to handle patients with severe COVID-19 infections. For the time being, first visits to Respiratory Medicine will be limited to those who have already made an appointment for a first visit through the Patient Support Center. First-time patients, even if bringing a medical report addressed to our hospital, will not be able to consult a doctor without an appointment. If it becomes possible to return to the usual outpatient consultation system, we will inform you again on this website. We apologize for any inconvenience, and thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
|Pediatric Surgery||From October 1, 2022
Even if you bringing a medical report, it will be decided by the clinical department whether or not you can see a doctor.
*This is a temporary response until the end of the COVID-19 infection.
|Ophthalmology||From June 1, 2011|
|Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery||From April 1, 2014|
|Orthopaedic Surgery||From May 1, 2021
The first visit to Orthopaedic Surgery is limited to those who have made an appointment for the first visit through Patient Support Center in advance.
Please note that we may not be able to see you if you do not have an appointment for your first visit.
|Pediatrics||From May 1, 2020
Please make a reservation through the Patient Support Center at patients' first visit. The regular hospital or clinic should fax an applicaiton for examination in advance.
|Center for Developmental Medicine and Child Psychiatry||From April 1, 2020
Please refer to the website for visiting the Center for Developmental Medicine and Child Psychiatry (Pediatric development outpatient). After that, please fax the referral letter with the Referral/Reservation Application Form. We will send you back a fax about the reservation status within 1-2 weeks. After getting a reservation, we will mail questionnaires to the patient's home, so please let the patient to fill out and to send them back at least within 1 week before the first visit.
For first-time visitors and patients who have not returned to the section for more than 6 months (except those who have an appointment), only those who have a referral letter from a primary care doctor (at a clinic or hospital) addressed to the relevant section at the Osaka University Hospital will be accepted for examination and treatment.
Patients desiring further treatment who have not returned to the section for more than 6 months and do not have an appointment must be examined at a local medical institution and obtain a referral letter addressed to the relevant section at the Osaka University Hospital.
To medical facilities concerned
- ※Preparing a patient's medical report and making an appointment for a first consultation
- To refer your patients to the Osaka University Hospital, you must write a letter of referral and contact the Patient Support Center at the Osaka University Hospital for the patient to receive an appointment to consult a doctor at our hospital. Note that patients themselves cannot apply for their initial appointment. Only requests for appointments from medical facilities are accepted.
- Please collect a number card from the first-time visitor reception machine installed at (2) First-time Visitor Reception in the entrance hall, and enter your information (e.g., your name, address, etc.) using the designated application form.
- When your number on the card is called, submit the completed application form, health insurance card/claimant certification for medical care, and referral letter (with patient's medical report) at (2) First-time Visitor Reception.
- After completing the above steps, please submit your patient registration card, which is issued to you, and your referral letter at the reception counter of the clinical section you are consulting. Keep your registration card in a safe place. You will need it whenever you consult a doctor at any of the sections at the Osaka University Hospital in the future.
Information for Outpatients
|First visit||8:30 am to 11:00 am|
|Revisit||8:30 am to 11:30 am|
|Revisit with appointment||8:30 am to 3:00 pm|
※First-time visitors to Osaka University Hospital must have a referral from a physician.
Outpatient consultation days
Monday to Friday
Saturdays, Sundays, Holidays New Year’s Holidays: Dec. 29 to Jan. 3